Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:34 PM

Default Altitude Kōan

Wikipedia article on Kōans An example of a modern Kōan. An example of a "hacker koan".

Now, here are some Altitude koans of my own creation, inspired by episodes of the life of the enigmatic "Master Time Anchor". They stem from my own (heavily influenced) doctrine of how to play and learn to play altitude. Their intended interpretation, as usually happens in koans, is not superficial or direct; instead, they are food for thought. How do you interpret them? Do you disagree or agree with their meanings? What do you have to add?

1)
One day, as Zen Master Time Anchor walked with his disciples among the Pub Servers, he came upon a young randa, enjoying an impressive KD ratio. Upon sight, he said to the Master:
"Master Anchor! I seek your help; for I am better than the vast majority of players on these darn pub servers, and I know not how to improve!"
"You're winning by a fair margin. What more do you ask for?"
"I want to win better!", proclaimed the young randa, upset.
"In that case, you need to win less," calmly replied the Master, kicking him from the server.
At that moment, the young player was enlightened.

2)
A newbie, in distress, sought Master Anchor's guidance one day in hopes of illuminating his troubles and concerns.
"O great Master! I practice and I practice, but people tell me I still suck! I am lost and wandering, not an escape from my present sorry state in sight!"
The Master, curious, asked the newbie what he thought his problem was. The newbie, in his ignorance, replied, "I just suck!"
The Master smiled and shook his head, saying merely:
"You will forever play the way you practice."
At that moment, in a small way, the newbie was enlightened.

3)
The Master, meditating in a Pub Server, watched quietly as a moderately skilled player played against newbies and bots. After an amount of time, the Master began to speak, smoothly sliding back from his state of transcendence into the game-time of altitude.
"Player, what is your goal?"
"Why Master, I intend to improve. Since practice is at the root of all improvement, I feel that I am improving," replied the player, ecstatic that the master would show interest in such an exemplar common-folk as himself.
Thinking for a moment, the Master replied: "The most important things you will learn about this game, you will learn with your hands off the keyboard and the mouse."
At that moment, the player was enlightened.

Last edited by MagneticDuck`; 04-12-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:39 PM

lololol I really like these. Can you make some more?